Saturday, October 4, 2008

Take a deep breath. Winter is coming. The higher gas bills will blow in with the cold winds from the frozen north and it won't be Jolly St. Nick exhaling. Preditions are that it will be a cold winter. The utility companies have told us we will pay more(what else is new) to heat our homes.
year
I have an old home, not well built andnowt well thought out. I have improved on over the years and it is paid for, so here I stay.

However, I am trying to butten it up for the expected cold weather and higher bills.

I went to the utility company and got on the budget plan. They average your bill/usage for the year and bill you accordinly. I am single and conservative, so my bill is only $124.00 per month. This includes gas, electric, water and sewer, scool tax and library tax. Don't think that I am scrimping or doing without. I am not. But, I am not wastefull.

I also went back and set up an automatic bill pay plan. It saves me from going out in the winter weather and saves on gas and time. And I neverhave to pay late fees.

Anyone can do this. Even if you are on S.S as I am it will work out well and save time and money, wear and tear on car and body and car.

Also, I have found a new or better use for plastic bags. I stuff ever little crack or cravise I can find. Tacky, you say? Not really because after you seal it you can caulk it and it looks perfeckly normal..part of the construction. And the house is warmer.

Take sheets of bubble wrap and cut to size to cover windows. Wet windows and stick the boublle wrap to the windows. I am short and I like to look out the windows so I only cover the upper half of the window. Heat rises so that will keep the warm air from escaping out the upper half of the windows.

No comments: