Friday, January 10, 2014

Letter to God

Dear God:


It's me.  Only me...again.
I 've been thinking about you.  You are never far from my mind.  I think about you a lot.  I pray a lot.  I was wondering...can a person think about you or pray too much?


It seems as if I get up in the morning, go to bed at night and think about you throughout the day.  I wonder if that makes me a fanatic.


I don't go around quoting the Bible, spouting euphemisms or wear sack cloths and ashes.  I would like to say that I evangelize for you, but you know me, Lord.  I am not very vocal.  I don't have the talent for speeches or preaching.  Instead, I have a poor blog in which I try to express my love and dedication to you,  Lord.


I know that you are well aware of my efforts to make your name known and how often I fail to "come across."  You know every hair on my head, don't you, including the gray ones that I have acquired over the years?  You know that I am not a theologian or a person of great scholastic achievements.  I have faith in you, Lord, as simple as it is, and I trust in you to carry me through.


I think there are family and friends around me that see me as a nerd.  So be it.  I try to live my life around "nerd-ism," follow the Ten Commandments to the best of my present ability, and practices the four Cardinal Virtues.   I know Lord, I know.  I need a lot of practice.


I often fail for I am weak, Lord.  But you already know that about me, don't you?  You know how often I put my foot in my mouth and say the wrong or stupid things.  Yet, you are beside me, and pick me up so that I can start again. Thank you Lord, for being patient with me and letting me lean on  you so often.  I couldn't possibly do it on my own.
 
I often wonder this, Lord.  Why did you create me...us...as we are?  We...and I...are so weak, vulnerable and given to sin.  We are inclined to violence, selfishness, pride and vanity.  But, then who am I to question why you would create beings such as we?  You know us...and me...as we are. We are  for all intents and purposes, pitiful tributes to you name, holiness and love.  We just don't measure up, do we?


I guess that is why you gave me free will when you created me, Lord.  You gave me a way  out and a way in.  The door swings both ways.  We do have a choice to the direction we want to follow.  I can walk the path you set before me or stumble along a rough and rocky road to perdition.  I chose to follow you, Lord, my God and creator.  You know well how often I stub my toes on sometimes the smallest of pebbles that trip me up.  Thank you, Lord, for the obstacles, great and small, that you have provided for me along the way, from which I learn. 


Nothing stays in stasis, does it, Lord?  Even the biggest boulders wear away until they become small pebbles, and then grains of sand of time.  I like to think, Lord, each and every time I fall or stumble I become similar to a grain of sand with all the rough edges and imperfection wearing away.


Well, Lord, it has been nice being in communion with you, Lord, and I really do thank you for hearing my little voice.  You are like Flo's TV insurance commercial in that I "am never alone."  You are always with me.


So, Lord, I guess it is time to finish this letter, sign off, stamp it, and send it off into cyberspace where I know you will find it in your personal mailbox.  Maybe I will write you again...sometime soon.  You already know what is in my heart, Lord.  It is YOU, LORD, it is you.


from me to you, Lord
just me

  

No comments: