Sunday, January 19, 2014

Rock

Are you a rock?  Do you want to be?  I want to be a rock, solid and unmoving in my faith.  You should desire to be a rock, also.  Not like Peter, whom Jesus said, "Upon this rock I build my church," but as a foundational stone that keeps the Church from sagging, level and true.  I want to be that kind of rock, faithful and filled with the Holy Spirit.


I am not made of granite.  Few of us are, but we are all called to be, through our baptism.  As you know from your Bible, "many are called, but few are chosen."   How we answer the call is though our free will.  How we chose is often of our own interpretation of the "little voice" whispering in our ears. 


When Jesus was walking along the lake shore He called out to Peter and the apostles, "Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."  He is calling and is asking us-all of us, "to follow Him."  Well, I am not much of a fisher person so I try to be a good rock.  A good, sturdy rock can be a good pier from which a good fisher person can cast a net or line and perhaps reel in a nice catch or two. 


I know lots of people that think and claim to be rocks-AKA-good Christians.  Many lay claim to the ideal of Christianity, but do not really live the life as a follower of Jesus.  You know the term "lip service" or mediocrity at best.  I will not say I don't fall into these categories, because we seldom know our inner selves and don't make very good judges of who and what we are.  Don't worry, someone will come along and judge me...for me.


To be a Christian we should be Christians of good works as well as people of prayer...as well as attending Services weekly or more often.  We don't need to advertise our good works or pat ourselves on the back, seeking to be admired and lauded. The only opinion and judgement that counts is that of Our Lord and Creator. 


So...I would like to be a rock; neither moved by wind or time or the whims of man; a foundational stone that is not set on sand.  I know; you will tell me that even the greatest of rocks will wear and erode through the eons of time.  It doesn't matter.  I want to be a rock in OUR times for I, in the physical sense, will be replaced by another solid stone.


END 




No comments: