Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Tested

The big ice storm is certainly testing Kentuckians. If you are prepared you probably will pass your pre-test or discover where you fail or are weak. I know where I am weak and need to up grade. I need more batteries and kerosene, or at least have it where I can get to it.

I am lucky. My lights blinked a few times, but stayed on. My floor furnace continued to heat the house and I remained comfortable. However, my neighbor has a very big tree on his house. Across the street there are very large limbs down and there may be more to come down.

I have plenty of food, candles and a kerosene heater in the back room if I need it. I have lots of candles and warm cloths if the heat were to go. What I don't have is a strong right arm, but even that is slowly improving 'though painful.

I now realize it is enough for a short term emergency and need to ramp it up, esp. in water storage. My cell phone was not working and most of the TV stations were off the air..probably due to icing over on the satellite dishes. Some things to mull over and do or re-do after this little test and there is more bad weather on the horizon.

I read the Survivialady's blog and often think she and family are eating up her food faster than she can haul it in. That's exactly what I am doing now until I can drive again and replenish my stock. I can now type a bit better, too!

No comments: