Monday, July 1, 2013

Just some thoughts

I am a min-hoarder...yes I am.  It isn't so bad that I can't get through the house or need to climb over piles of trash or rubbish as you see in the shows on TV, but it makes me wonder why I save some of the stuff that I do. I guess I have an emotional, sentimental attachment to things that I have no real use for or will never use again.

I am in a clean-out mode or get rid of junk frame of mind...again.  Lots of stuff has got to go...again.  In our material society it is a never ending accumulation of things we think we want, need, can fix or may need later.  Much later.  So our or my hoarding grows a little bit at a time.

I have been down this road before, but at least I recognize that I have a penchant for saving unneeded, unusable stuff, and every once in a while I tear into the problem and make it a Salvation Army or Goodwill problem or benefit.  If I can't or won't use it...perhaps someone else will or maybe become a min-hoarder...like me.

As you know I have cut back on my blog posting and taking my time with it as thoughts or events occur to me.  There is a lot to do in the summer that must be attended to and blogging isn't a priority when the grass needs mowing, going back and forth to the eye Dr., trying to de-clutter go to church and all the things that fill the days.

I was out mowing in 90+ degrees heat and high humidity on Friday.  If you like warm to hot to steaming weather...boy do I know a place where you would be in a hades "paradise," right here in down town Kentucky.  I can't imagine old Daniel Boon wearing a Raccoon fur hat as depicted in all the old movies.  I'll bet he would have joyfully traded his furry tailed cap and his Kentucky long rifle for a good air conditioner unit.  I know I would!

I have been thinking about saints.  Oh, I know.  Your going to tell me that I don't get paid to think...which is true, but my thoughts wander in that direction anyway.

I was pondering...a good word...that so many saints were recognized right up 'til about "now" or into this past and emerging century.  Of course there are saints living among us even now, but I think they will be fewer and farther between.  We live in a secular society where there are so many mental, material, physical distractions that are certainly contrary to the making of a saint or sainthood.

The church used to teach that we should all strive for sainthood.  I seldom hear it mentioned anymore.  Well yeah!  Sainthood isn't easy!  Sainthood usually involves a some sacrifice, such as life, liberty, blood, suffering, strong beliefs in God and following the path of Christ or great saints.  Yeah...Right...Like who wants to do that!  There is too much other stuff to do or be involved in.

I would like to be a saint.  I am not.  I am a weak, lazy individual who is spoiled by all the offerings of society.  I do try to keep the 10 commandments to the best of my ability.  One step, but a step.  I just don't have much to give in the way of following Christ.  I do the best I can, but is my best good enough...or do I fall short in so many ways?  Fortunately God forgives all my transgression and stupid ways and accepts me as I am, and He will do the same for you...and work in you.  Well, my mother did tell me that the only time I was good was when I was sleeping!  I hope I have progressed a little since the then!

As I started this post a couple days ago...it has rained...a lot.  All that hard work in the yard will need to be done over and soon.  It really grows fast and is hard to keep up.


Reflecting back a little on what I said about wanting to be a saint:  Well, it isn't for fame or glory in this life, for saints have a hard way to go, are frequently misunderstood, seldom recognized, and frequently suffer for the love of God.  However, striving after sainthood brings one closer to our Lord and that is what I wish for...to be close to our Lord.  Wishes will not make me a saint...or anyone else for that mater.  You have to "work for it", the old fashioned way; through prayer, meditation, observing the precepts that Christ Jesus died for in order to instill in our heart this one salfivic creed.  He said for us to love one another as we would love ourselves and to do onto others as we would have done unto us.  Good works and charity are great if you can do them, but LOVE for each other is His greatest command.

Thus... this little post is finished.  And I am still not a saint!

END

No comments: