Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Forty Days and Forty Nights-sounds like a movie

Well, I told you Lent was coming.  I hope you were/are ready for the next forty days.  We are never quite ready for penance, are we?  Personal behavior is hard to change or improve, but we give it "the old college try," don't we?


Ok, I went to Ash Wednesday service/mass and now I have a smudgy forehead.  I wish that I had gone over to "the home" because church was packed to the rafters and the parking lot was worse and ice was treacherous.  It isn't melted off entirely.  I guess Pope Francis is a good shepherd and the sheep are coming home in spite of the ice and parking difficulties.


I have a few things on my list of "do's and don't do's."  I seldom say or list them publicly.  I do suggest that one keep a journal, if at all possible.  It is good to look back at the end of the Lenten season to see where we may have failed, were lax or did well.  Today starts my own Lenten journal.  Kick me if I don't keep it up...I hope you have a long reach.


LENTEN RECIPE
***
one head of cabbage
peel of outer leaves
(save for soup)
slice off several
or one slice about
the size of a slice
of bread.
brush olive oil
or oil of choice
on each side of
cabbage slice(es).
salt and pepper
to taste on each side.
place each slice on
cookie sheet
and bake for about
20 minutes at 350 
watch that they don't
burn because all
ovens are different.

I like a little garlic salt on mine...not too much.  The baked cabbage slices come out yummy and crunchy.  Yes, I "stole" this recipe from the Dr. Oz show.  Shame on me.

END

No comments: