Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Amen and Alleluia=powerful words

There was some frosting on the cake this morning.  We had a touch of sleet and a lite dusting of snow, but it was really to dry to do much of anything.  The schools were cosed because of the "black ice."  I'm sure the kids didn't mind and I knew that I wasn't going anywhere.  As soon as the sun smiled upon the overnight accumulation of that very thin moisture,  it was gone.  It made me think of Manna from Heaven for some odd reason.  I often think of "odd" stuff.

I finished off a book and have another one to start, but I want to get some work done around the house before I get involved in a new book.  Once I crack a book the world dissolves around me and nothing much gets my attention thereafter.  My left eye is all bloodshot and that's my "good eye."  So I will give my eyes a rest, too.

+++
 
THE FAVORS
OF THE LORD
I WILL 
FOREVER;
THROUGH
ALL
GENERATIONS
MY MOUTH
SHALL
PROCLAIM
YOUR
FAITHFULNESS.
 
Psalm 88: 2
 
Words we say in prayer or sing or just utter as a response in daily life.  Alleluia=praise God.  Amen=so be it.  Sometimes we almost turn these holy works into exclamation points in ordinary conversation, forgetting what the words signify.  Sometimes a holy word can mean as little as a swear word.  There is a preacher on the radio who chops up his sermons so much and with so many, many "Amens," that it makes it hard to follow his message.  I listen to him in the morning on my way to mass, thinking that he could be a really great teacher/preacher if he were a little more judicious with his "Amens."  Just me wondering in my odd way.
 
END

No comments: