Thursday, January 24, 2013

REFLECTIONS

I am not posting much tonight.  It's cold and I just want to crawl into my nice warm bed and pull the covers up over my head.  The cold makes me less than energetic.  When Jesus was in the desert for 40 days and nights He must have gotten cold, too.  I shouldn't complain, should I. 

Do you think you could stay out in the desert in the heat of the day and the cold of the night, and having the devil taunting you besides?  I know I couldn't.  I don't like it either way; one extrime or another.  And I would suffer without my cup of tea.

Sometimes we need to isolate ourselves in order to clarify our mind and senses, that we may become more attuned-closer to God.  Many Christians trend toward structured retreats or just a few days of quite time and reflection.  Whichever way one chooses, I am sure that God is well pleased with any honest  prayers and meditations.

We all feel the pull to be alone with God, even if for just a short time.  Not everyone can go off into the desert or even make a retreat, but all of us should be able to find some quite place or space, a corner or even a closet, in which to be with God and  pray.

As lent is fast approaching-a time for prayers, penance, reflections and meditation, I am  thinking about how I will spend those 40 days.  I am not real gung-ho about penance, but will work on something that would be a positive to my nature and spirituality.  As I state my own preferences, I do not take away from the value of penance.  It certainly has its place as an enlightenment factor for those that chose that venue.  OK, so I plan to do each. 

I started out without any intention of writing much of anything, but as usual I got carried away with myself.

+++
 
I SAID, "I WILL WATCH
MY WAYS,
SO AS NOT TO SIN
WITH MY TONGUE;
I WILL SET A CURB
ON MY MOUTH."
 
Psalm 38: 2
 
Probably the hardest(or one of)virtue for me to ever achieve, is to speak with discretion.  I know this to be true from years of putting my foot in my mouth.  I have a tendency to "tell it like it is."  I am afraid that one day  my foot will get stuck and I will have a mouth full of toes.  Yuk! 
 
 
 
END
 
 





No comments: