Monday, November 9, 2009

Sunday dinner and then some

I was going to roast a chicken for Ray on Saturday, but we went out to eat instead. So, I roasted a Chicken yesterday instead, with all the fixings. It turned out pretty well. I probably put too much butter in the dressing, but I like moist dressing, so it suited me just fine .
I did fix the bacon and saved the bacon grease for future cooking. I don't have a picture of the bacon grease because it is in a glass jar and the flash reflects off the jar.
Do you save the bacon grease from your frying? I do and I also save the chicken fat and leftover liquid in another container. You can use the bacon fat and drippings for gravy, flavoring foods and frying eggs in. The chicken fat also makes a good flavoring agent in stews and even in some baking, such as homemade biscuits. Just add a teaspoon or so to the dough and see how good it makes biscuits taste when added to a regular recipe. I can make pretty good dumplings with some leftover chicken fat and drippings in a pot of boiling water. You don't have to have the chicken, but you can add the liver, heart, gizzard and neck or any other chicken part to the pot of water. Add seasoning to taste. WHAT? YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO MAKE DUMPLINGS? So cheat a little bit and use Bisquick from a package/box.
I put the steaks back in the freezer. If meat thaws out in the ice box/fridge you can safely refreeze...according to the experts...and I have done it before.
Go online to your search engine and type in bacon or chicken recipes and you can really make a chicken squawk or a pig squeal!
I didn't intend to go out today or go anywhere, but I just remembered that I needed to take some books back to the library...like two days ago. I attended to that and checked out one...only one...book.
When I went to Wal-Mart last week I picked up some ant traps. I don't think they are very effective, but I will try them and hope that they work.
So...wad do ya think? Does that chicken look good? Yummm! Bet you wish you were here to help me eat that roasted chicken.
The END of the life of a chicken.

No comments: