Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Winter Greens project




More Greens from the garden have made it into the kitchen. I picked some small spinach, lettuce and Swiss Chard leaves and even found a couple onions that had been missed. In other words, I am "gleaning" as much my garden and getting as much as I can from it. Another salad coming up!
Every nutritionist in the modern world will advocate that we eat lots of green, red and yellow vegetables as well as fresh fruits. Your getting fiber,minerals,vitamins, flavonoids, pytonutrients, pytoestragen and micro chemicals.

You can't always get what you need from a can as heat and processing is destructive . You can fill up, but you may not be fueling up. And then you heat it up again, either on the stove or in the microwave. Heat kills the essential essences and microwaves explode the cell of your food. So it is good, but may not be good for you.
I recommend that if your meals are mainly from cans that you add Vit. B stress tabs. a good vitamin and Calcium with Vit D. To that be sure to get plenty of fibre.
I realize that not everyone can afford to eat well or eat "right." However, you can have some greens growing in a big butter dish in a sunny window. Take a large butter dish, place sand, grit or newspapers in the bottom, then add potting soil. Add some of our favorite "green" seeds in the soil near the top and cover. Water lightly, but do not drown. You can have a container of lettuce, Swiss Chard, or spinach growing in a sunny window. The bigger the plant, the bigger the dish you will need. You will soon have enough for a small salad or a BLT or whatever your heart desires. The time to start our pot is now.
I leave it up to you. I know you know how. I know you can do it. Fresh greens all winter long.
Just a note: There are a couple of words herein that I am not sure of the spelling and the spell checker can't find.
End