Monday, March 23, 2009

THE GARDEN

There is a garden in the air. I thought I wouldn't be having a garden this year, but the guy that does my home repairs is tilling up the garden plot for me on the premise of sharing the produce. Him, I trust, but his wife is a different matter. I don't know how much integrity resides in her soul.

But Chuck has been tilling much of the day, going over and over the plot. He spotted a Wood Chuck that has been living under the house and being most annoying. You can't shoot it in city limits and I don't really know how to get rid of it. It a big, fat Wood Chuck that will eat any good stuff sprouting in the garden. And that is what probably what happened to my corn sprouts last year.

Now is the time to plant peas, potatoes and various greens. I hope to get in some Swiss Card and other greens. Potatoes do not do well in my yard because of the Bermuda Grass someone planted at one time. The roots or runners will spear right through a nice potato and if you bite down on a potato that has been speared it is like being stabbed by a sharp nail. I will try to start a few potatoes in a container.

I think once the seeds and plants are in I can keep it weeded. I may not be able to can anything later, but I can blanch and freeze the produce to put in my tummy at a later date. I can hold a cane in one hand and weed with the other...I think.

Now, after therapy I stop and reward myself at Wendy's. I like their chicken wraps. then, when I get home I don't have to worry about cooking supper or washing dishes. And that is good.

According to good sentence structure one is never supposed to start a sentence with an "AND" or with a "But." They are conjunctions and are used to hold and join a sentence together. I have gotten where I do it a lot anymore, a bad habit I have picked up, but shouldn't do it. I will try to be more correct in the future. "BUT"...you know how it is...

The End

No comments: