Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Guns 'n Knives 'n stuff

While looking online at various new and used gun sales I wasn't too surprised to see that there were not a lot of arms in stock. I was just curious because I would like to sell my big old 12 gauge shotgun that I will never be able to handle again due to an elbow injury that didn't heal well..or the way I wished it had. I was kinda wondering what it was worth in that funny money that the government is spewing out of their presses.

As I didn't see any shotguns so I just surfed along and looked at antique knives, too. And what did my wondering eyes behold? An "antique" butcher knife just like my mother had in her knife drawer. It was made of carbon steel, which of course is good stuff for sharp blades. I don't know what ever happened to that knife, but I wish I had it today, just because it was hers, a reminder of who she was and all the hard work she did with that old knife. It was selling for $35.00, so value wise it was not a lot of money, but it had an intrinsic worth that can not be recaptured or duplicated.

When our parents and older or aging extended families leave us we loss all that wisdom and accrued knowledge that took their lifetimes of trial and error to glean, leaving us, so often, to relearn all over again, and more often than not, the hard way..hard LivingLessons. What my parents filed away in their mental file cabinets can not be retrived, just relearned, if we are lucky.

Thus, when I get to go out "junking" again, I will look for some old butcher knives, maybe an old rolling pin or cutting board..like my mother used to have.

No comments: