Friday, April 9, 2010

Working

I got a late start on my garden tilling and only a small amount done. I have a long way to go and will have to go over it several times. If the weather stays nice I will do some more tomorrow and again will probably start late. The ground is still a little wet from all the rain that came down on Wed. night. I can only do a bit at a time because my funky arm gives out, but I will get it done.

I hope to get corn in the ground this coming week. The tomato seeds are up and growing. I will start some green pepper seeds very soon, also. There are also potatoes to go in the
ground soon, too. This is the time to plant them while it is cool. I need to get sweet potato slips from the hardware store as the ones that I tried to start are just not doing anything.

This year's garden will be fairly basic. It will be what I can do and not what I want. There will be onions, tomatoes, potatoes, corn, winter squash, beans, and some greens. Even with a basic plan for the garden I don't know how well my arm will take it. I will persist because there is nothing better than fresh vegetables from the garden.

A garden will and can save you a lot of money on groceries. I still have stuff from last year and if it were not for the garden produce I would be pinching pennies even harder, until the pennies squealed even louder.

Everyone that can should have a garden. Everything I hear and see says that food will be expensive and may even become scarce-shortages. It is already high and gets higher every time I go to the store.

Gasoline is nearly $3.00 a gal. here. That is why I stay close to home. My tank is nearly empty now. People will stop mowing if it gets to high.

This the time for car insurance, home owners insurance, and more dental work. Social Security just doesn't stretch far enough, does it. And the new health care package gives me a laugh. You will pay into it, but it will not be available untl...What...2014? So, pay now and pay later. Just another scam and I have been scammed to death already.

My mother always had a garden, even in that small lot on Brooklyn street.
That must be where I got the gardening gene from; where I have to get my hands into the dirt and the dirt into my hair, eyes, mouth and down my front and even into my ears. Do you think if I get into enough dirt I might grow, too?
Anyway, here is where I
END

No comments: