Friday, March 19, 2010

There is always tomorrow


I've been out "foraging" in my garden area. There are volunteer onions, spinach, Swiss chard, various mixed greens, lettuce and even some dandelion greens in the photo. These will make a nice salad along with a hard boiled egg and some crisp bacon pieces. If you are going to forage a bit now is the time to do it. Wild mushrooms and wild asparagus will be available very soon, if not already. No one should go hungry in America; If people just knew where and what to look for. A really good book to read is a foraging book by Euell Gibbons. Your library should have his books, and probably Amazon has them, too. I have 'IN SEARCH OF THE WILD ASPARAGUS.'
I guess I got a lot done today. I took my old patio table apart, dragged into the back store room, put it back together again and set it up in front of a sunny back window. This will be my potting table. I seeded 24 little pots with Beefsteak Tomatoes. 12 are made with year-old chicken poo and 12 are in left over commercial potting soil. I am waiting to see which one will do best. I am late in my starters because of the past weather unpredictability. It isn't all that predictable even now.
I have left-over tiny potatoes that I will try to use as seed potatoes. The are not very big, but most have "eyes." I also need to start sweet potato slips, but there is time enough for that as the weather is going to get cooler-not cold, but not a good time to plant sweet potatoes. I think I can go ahead and start my winter squash seeds and let them get a good start. I will use larger pots for them. I love winter squash, split, seeded, smothered with butter and baked.
Some things that I don't want in the garden. No Okra or flowers to take up the room that I need for the food I like to eat. I will put in a few green pepper plants and the onion sets came last week. I picked red unions this year and hope the grow well as I like unions quite well.
This my list so far. I hope to till tomorrow on Saturday. The soil is drying fast, but it's supposed to rain tomorrow night. Of course, it will need to be tilled more than once. Wish me luck. My funky arm held out pretty well; it doesn't bend much and it's weak, but my left arm "talks" to it and I get the job done. I hope I can get my transmission into high gear and get everything done that my little head thinks of doing. So be it.
END.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well your article helped me very much in my college assignment. Hats high to you enter, intention look audacious in the direction of more interrelated articles in a jiffy as its anecdote of my pick issue to read.