Friday, September 11, 2009

Cast Iron

Here is a shot of my cast iron frying pans. They are old, beat up, but still usable. They heat evenly and retain the heat. The two tiny ones are an ashtray and a "sample." The two big ones are number 8's and a number 6. The one on the bottom right is a 6 1/2 and on the left is(darker)a 6 3/4 pan. The one small pan is pitted, but serviceable. I continue to look for an old Dutch oven with a lid, a deep chicken fryer and a long griddle. I used to find cast ironware in yard sales and at the Salvation Army or the Goodwill store. They have become very scarce because people are buying them up as antiques or for real cooking. I use mine for cooking. I made my spaghetti sauce in one of the big pans.

I took my van to the auto shop and they checked the tires. While I was there I got the oil changed. If you keep the oil changed and car greased your auto will serve you well for a long time. If I cleaned out the inside it would serve me even better!

Chuck came and mowed. He also dug up the sweet potatoes and a healthy crop it is. You can not buy sweet potatoes as big and pretty as these are. I will leave them outside overnight and let the dirt dry off before putting them in a box for storage. I will try to post pictures of them tomorrow or on Monday.

The little female wild canary was in the sunflowers eating the seeds again. She loves those seeds! There are honey bees after the flowers, still, and nasty little sweat bees, too. If you have never-or ever been stung by a sweat bee, than you will know why I call them nasty. They really, really hurt.

My eye glass frames are finally in, but it is too late to go pick them up. This old pair will "see" me through 'til Monday.

Melanie, tell Big Ellen about this blog site. It will give her something to do or look at. Maybe Christine and Denise, too.

Because I was out at lunch time I stopped in the Golden Corral for something to eat. I got a bad piece of liver that was starting to have liver-quiver. A couple weeks ago I got a bad piece of chicken that was turning. Yuk. They never used to have bad meals.

Beverly said I could freeze Spaghetti in 1 qt. freezer bags. I am gonna try it and see how it turns out. What can you do to preserve sweet potatoes?

It is half-past time to put my frying pans back where they belong.

END

1 comment:

treesong said...

Nice start to a cast iron collection! And glad to hear you use them. Treesong