Saturday, September 19, 2009















I took these pictures of the old Henderson Railroad Station. I wish you could see the old station closer up. It was built in 1881 and opened in 1882. It is now owned by the Henderson Historical Society. No one is taking care of it and it has fell victim to time, weather and disrepair. The new tourist replica of the old station is in the upper right hand corner. It is the old station that has the character and represents a vanished time in history. Do you believe that the old depot was built for $5.000.00 dollars in just one year? It was and the later link between Evansville and Henderson via the rail road tristle across the Ohio, brought trade and commerce across the river. I did make a mistake in a previous post. The railroad bridge across the Ohio was started in 1901. At one time Henderson was the 12th richest city in the world! They grew all the tobacco you could want for fame, gain and world markets.
I did go out and retrieve some more tomatoes, mostly Roma and Cherry tomatoes. I found one cantaloupe and ate some of it, but it lacked the flavor of the summer grown ones. I looked for some more green peppers, but the nasty bugs (mosquitoes) found me before I found green peppers.
I really wish you could see the details in the the old rail station. Like everything else in this nation..it is falling into decay.
END

No comments: