Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Railroad Bridge



This is the second time I am posting this. My first post evaporated into space and time. I have tried to retrieve it; no luck thus far. This a picture of the old railroad bridge built around 1913. It is still in daily use. You can just spot a freight train coming across the bridge. This old railroad trestle links Kentucky and Indiana. It was used in the 1937 flood to rescue people along the river and carry them to safety. The water got so high they had to stop running the trains. Many people walked across the bridge from Indiana to Kentucky as this area is on a bluff. Many had to be barged to safety. Over 5,000 people died from the flood. It had rained for 19 days without stopping. Cattle, chickens and hogs drowned in unknown numbers. This picture was taken from a small park near the river.
I cooked sweet potatoes, cabbage and green peppers in my pressure cooker. It turned out well.
Yum is the word. I added a couple hot dogs. Ordinarily hot dogs are not all that good for you, but the pressure cooker seems to steam the chemicals and salt out of them.
I have been cleaning out behind some furniture trying to get rid of spiders and dust. Now I have to push things back where it belongs.
END

No comments: