Thursday, September 24, 2009

Up and running


The root of my camera problems turned out to be a defective memory card. I took the camera into CVS and they tested it on their computers and all I needed to do was replace the memory card. Bingo.
The bookcase I built in an opening that held a window at one time. After I bought this little house I had the carport closed in and it is now my bedroom. The window was no longer a window. I had hired a guy to build this in, but he did such a bad job I tore it all out an did again-myself. I meant to put moulding around the edges, but never got around to it. Now I can't, but it doesn't look half bad. The clock is a cypress wedge I bought at a yard sale. I bought a clock kit and numbers and hung it on the wall. I didn't quiet get the numbers in a proper circle, but close. It needs batteries. I can't do the things I did a year ago, but I have made lots of progress. So be it.
Of course it is raining and Green Street flooded as did some of the other main streets. I am high and dry and lucky. When this city was laid out and planned they made the streets very wide-100 ft. wide to prevent fires from jumping the main streets. In the 1700's western Ky was forest land, rich in timber and fine farmland all along the river. When the Ohio flooded in the spring all the top soil was deposited in what is called the "bottoms." This is still rich, sought after land. There was a man at the nursing home whose family owned about 1200 acres of bottom land. He didn't like farming so he became a banker.
I went to the Chinese Restaurant for a late lunch. I have plenty of food at home, but I think it is good to get out and about. If you happen to read about pioneer woman, more than one went bonkers from loneliness and isolation. Even the constant wind whistling across the prairies would send people over the edge. I have in that book case a book called "O Pioneer." It is an older book and easy to read. It relates some of the hardships the wives and daughters of the early settlers endured. I do get peeved when some of the bloggers complain about their wives who won't "get on board" for prepping and survival. Even into the 20th and mid-20th century life was hard for rural woman. Just ask my mother...if she can hear you from up yonder.
END

1 comment:

d.a. said...

Word - those who wax all gloss & romance about survivalism and being an electricity-free pioneer haven't truly experienced the constant hard work involved. It's no wonder people died so young - they were plain worn out.