Wednesday, May 26, 2010

90's


This is the third day of the 90's in temperatures. The humidity is pretty high, too. The temperatures are above normal for this time of the year. There is a promise of showers, but that's all it has been...promises. The peppers are wilting and so am I.
When it becomes this miserable I stay in. The garden will have to wait for a cooler day. When it is this bad outside it is also bad inside. The A/C in the kitchen window has tried its best, but needs to be replaced. I just cleaned the filter hoping that will help...maybe a little. I know that tomorrow, Thursday, will be almost as hot with the high of around 88, probably a little higher.
When the temperatures and humidity rises it brings on health problems. If you work out in the sun you should wear a straw hat to help keep the direct sun off your head. I also will wear a wet towel around my neck to help cool my carotid arteries. I also stop often, rest and drink a lot of fluid. Don't drink coffee. Avoid working or being out in the heat of the day. Work in the morning or evening as the sun lowers into the western sky. You know the drill.
I did get up early to go out and work in the yard, but by 9 AM it was already 88 degrees. I waited for the evening, but even at 6:30 PM it was still 90 out. There are times you can't win so don't worry about it. Another day will roll around. It is better to be aware and guard your health than to have a heat stroke. The elderly or people with heart problems or high B/P really need to take precautions.
You can buy little personal fans the run on batteries or find gel filled "coolers" at most drug store that will help keep the body a little more comfortable. Or you can do like the boys next door and float in the pool all day. Just keep cool.
END

No comments: