Thursday, May 6, 2010

The River


Theses are the tomato plants I started. A couple have not come up. Two of the squash have germinated. None of the plants are big enough to put out yet. Most of the peat pots are left over from last year.
I took the day off from garden/yard work. My arm has stiffened up so I am giving it a rest. I went to the store and then down by the flowing waters.

I've been to the river. Some will say they "have been to the mountain-seeking wisdom and knowledge." Not me. I've been to the river. I don't like climbing mountains. The river is running deep and swift. It is full of debris' from the high waters coming down the Ohio. The Monongahela empties into the Ohio from Pennsylvania as well as lots of tributaries and , streams all along the way. That's a lot of water flowing 'round the bend. I went to the river to enjoy the sunlight and tranquility of the day , watching Mother Nature ply her charms.

She is a seductive lady, the Ohio River. She can be really destructive, petulant and unforgiving. The river is full of logs, trees and trash that is carried along hurriedly by the quick current-really fast moving water. I am so happy to be on this side of the river, on the bluff side, high and dry. On the other side the backup water is into the fields and flooding out the corn and soybeans.. The farmers will have to start over and replant. That means the prices of corn and soybeans will go up, up and away.
I read that America is no longer the "bread basket" of the world. There has been copious flooding and generally bad stuff happening all over the country and food prices continue to rise.

Each time I go to the grocery store I moan and groan all the way home and the agony is not going away soon. And there is even more pain at the pump. All the newscasters are reporting that gas is at its cheapest level since March...really? It has jumped to almost $3.00 a gallon overnight. There is some fuzzy math going on somewhere...but not in my pocketbook.
END

No comments: