Wednesday, November 9, 2011

MEDITATION-PRAYER

I've been thinking about the art of meditation.  I consider it an art because you start out with a "rough draft" and over time refine your time in meditation-or prayer, if you prefer, into something sublime and yet powerful, as well as a pathway to inner peace in union with God.

Most of my own meditations come from a prayer book as I am not one of the great thinkers of our times...or any time.  It is still a form of meditation even it it is written in a little prayer book and someone else thought of "it' first... and lay down the stepping stones.  The written word or mediation helps me focus and guide my thoughts to a more elevated place within.  I should be careful that I don't fall off!

There are all sorts of ways to meditate and all kinds of videos to help you along the spiritual road of "becoming."  Most of what you find on the Internet or at various websites are set up to sell you enlightenment, joy, peace and happiness.  You can go that route if you can afford to, but, shame on me, I see most of those offers as "canned, ready to open, heat and eat," spirituality.  I might benefit from "canned soul food," but then again it might be the stuff of fluff and mush and clog up my main spiritual arteries.  Can't have that!

Basically, all you need for daily meditation is a room or area free from distractions, noise and some time for your meditation.  It should be reasonably comfortable although it needn't be.  The great saints did without a lot of comfort and ease.  A little soft, gentle music in the background is helpful to many.  You need not strain yourself at first while trying to meditate.  You can begin with simple chants, litanies, exhortations, ejaculations or invocations.  Repetitions are an easy way to start on your spiritual journey.  It is a process and not even, or not many, of the great saints, got from here to there, overnight.  Sooner or later your reflections will become a more silent form of prayer or meditation.  As I am a Catholic, you know which way my mind bends.  Meditation in the presence of the Holy Eucharist is a very reverent way to pray or to commune with the true God.

When the disciples asked Jesus how to pray he told them to to pray thusly:


OUR FATHER
WHO ART IN HEAVEN
HALLOWED BE THY NAME
THEY KINGDOM COME
THEY WILL BE DONE
ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN
GIVE US THIS DAILY BREAD
AND FORGIVE US OUR TRESPASSES
AND LEAD US NOT
INTO TEMPTATION
BUT DELIVER US FROM EVIL

AMEN

Matt. 5: 9-13



There is also a newer translation of the "OUR FATHER"  in the vernacular, but I haven't hard anyone pray it in the new form which is not that different from what we learned as children.


I didn't do as much work today.  I did do some washing and drying and putting away clean cloths.  Cooked that second Salmon steak and ate that, too.  I watched a little TV, but it is so...boring.

I guess that tomorrow I will go to the store for a few things, even if it is cold.  I need to get some fresh air.  I might even go to the Chinese restaurant.  I'll decide tomorrow.

END

No comments: