Friday, November 18, 2011

The Road to perfection


HOPE
This morning my older sister  called and we were talking about the health and welfare of my sister-in law, and various other things.  The subject of "perfection" came up and I decided that it would be a good topic to write about(thank you Beverly). It isn't as if I were an expert on the the quest for perfection-God knows that I am far, far from the grace of perfection, but It is worth contemplating, pursuing and commanded.

The road to perfection can be likened to the Road to Perdition: rocky, rough and full of little pitfalls.  It isn't an easy road to travel unless you have received special graces, and that means it is a road less traveled.

There isn't much on the Internet about perfection so I will have to give it my best shot.  Remember...I am not a theologian.

"We look at perfection as a process to and of sanctification.  This can be instantaneous or a progressive work of grace.  the purity of intention, the dedication of all life to and of God...and the mind of which is in Christenables us to walk as Christ walked.  Everything is more perfect, the more it resembles God."  This is a very close paraphrase/quote from Paschasious Radbertus.  

I have searched The Vat. 11 documents for something more specific relating to perfection.  I didn't find a simple explanation of what perfection is.  My analysis is that we are to follow the teachings of Christ and the 10 commandments as closely and sincerely as we can.  We are to Love One Another as Christ loved us.  Not so easy, but it will lead us to a closer perfection.  No one is perfect,: (no one I know!) expect to make mistakes, take the wrong actions or say the wrong words.  It is what we are: People of God striving to do better.


BUT WHEN  THE SPIRIT
 OF TRUTH  HAS COME,
HE WILL TEACH YOU
ALL THE TRUTH.

John 16: 13


AS THE FATHER HAS LOVED ME,
I HAVE ALSO LOVED YOU.
ABIDE IN MY LOVE.

John 15:9

THESE THINGS I HAVE SPOKEN TO YOU,
THAT MY JOY MAY BE IN YOU
AND THAT YOU JOY MAY BE MADE FULL

John 15: 11


Over and over the New Testament speaks of love.  Love is the key to perfection.  Got lots of love in your pockets?  Or are your pockets full of holes?

We try to explain mystical concepts with small words and our understanding is limited because we are generally a tactile creation.  We "know" through our touch, smell, eyes and hearing, and that makes us a poor receptacle for the the greater senses of the soul. Every once in a while there is a "break through" in our understanding of the Holy Word, that can be attributed to some of the great saints...oops, that leaves me out!  Most of what I write is simple and uncomplicated..hopefully, so that anyone can follow the thoughts that occur to me.  Well, sometimes I don't understand myself...LOL, and wonder where an occasional glimmer of inspiration comes from.  Oh, I am supposed to know that!

Harry's wife Sherry was sent home.  I think she is probably just as well off at home as she would be in the hospital...and happier.


END












No comments: