Monday, February 13, 2012

Attributes

A friend just recently asked me what I meant by "attributes" during Lent.  The dictionary will  refer to the word attribute as defining one's character.  I explained it to my friend as going a step further as to....refining...one's character.  Penance during Lent is good and commendable, but to build and enhance your personal virtues and graces is highly desired.  If you can delete a bad behavior or action from you id-inner self, that is a special grace to receive and give back to the Lord.  If I give something up or do something worthy for 40 days and then go back to what was before, I don't know how acceptable that would be to God.  God told Abraham not to sacrifice his son on the alter; He was testing him to see how obedient and loving Abraham would be. 

Recently I was tested.  I hope I responded in an acceptable manner.  Inside myself, I was lived and my blood pressure went into outer space and beyond.  That was not an acceptable attribute and now I am over it, but I know that I could have and should have done a better job in controlling my thoughts. 

Just because I didn't write or verbalize what I was thinking doesn't mean it was a good attribute.  Definitely a flaw in my nature and inner-self: something I need to work on.  No matter how old you get there is always room for improvement or ways to do better.  So, I can make all the sacrifices and penances I can think of, but if I don't build something upon these with actions, then it would be just 40 days without good reason or much merit. 

You may also think of attributes as graces or virtues.  Not all of us are so well gifted to be born with all the virtues and graces that is desirable to the Lord.  You can earn what you learn-sort of self educational.  To be loved you must love.  To have all the necessary ingredients to make a cake you need some sort of spiritual recipe.  Most of the great saints needed  a good recipe to go by, also.  Sometimes making something good is finally achieved through trial and error, having the cake fall flat or even burning it around the edges.  We can all use a good cook book and it is called The Holy Bible inspired by chief God, maker of all good things.

Of course the last few sentences are meant to be an analogy or an alliteration, but you understand...or I hope you do.  Poor writer that I am, I will acclaim that I too, need the aid of a few good recipes and seek a more than just a few attributes as well.

"BE CAREFUL FOR NOTHING;
BUT IN EVERYTHING
 BY PRAYER
AND SUPPLICATION
WITH THANKSGIVING
LET YOUR REQUESTS
BE KNOWN UNTO GOD"

Philippians 4:6

END




No comments: