Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Fat Tuesday

Today is Fat Tuesday-or was, depending on when you might be reading this.  Tomorrow is the start of Lent and Wednesday is a day of fasting and abstinence.  I took myself to the Golden Corral for a late lunch or early dinner.  I didn't pig out as you might suppose and I won't be partying all night, either.  I guess I have a different idea about what Lent is or at least what it is to me.  I know what I will do for Lent and what I won't do, but these are private so I won't go into detail.

Anyway, the time is here and here it will be for the next 40 days.  Actually 46 days as Sundays are not "counted."  As stated before, on Sundays you don't have to fast or abstain or fast unless you wish to do so.  Remember, the body does need proper nourishment, so keep that in mind on Sundays and eat good meals that day.

Tomorrow is also known as Ash Wednesday when we have the symbolic ashes in the form of a cross placed upon our forehead.  The ash is from the burned palms of last years celebration of Easter Sunday.  It reminds us that we come from dust and to dust we will return and also of mourning and lose of the physical torments of Christ, as well as that Christ himself went into the desert fast and pray. As Christ was tempted in the desert, so shall we be, also.  I know that I will be; I know full well that I am far from perfect.

"YOU THEREFORE,
ARE TO BE PERFECT,
EVEN AS YOUR
HEAVENLY FATHER
IS PERFECT."

Matt. 5:48
***
"TAKE HEED NOT
TO DO YOUR GOOD
BEFORE MEN,
IN ORDER TO BE
SEEN BY THEM:
OTHERWISE
YOU SHALL HAVE
NO REWARD
WITH YOUR FATHER
IN HEAVEN."

Matt.6:1



Those verses tell us we really shouldn't be telling what we intend or will be doing during Lent, or at any time unless there is a good reason, for it is between you and your/our God.

END



No comments: