Saturday, September 1, 2012

Shower Power

The shower was a sheer luxury.  Years ago when I was having some work done on the bathroom I thought to have two grab bars installed for my coming old age.  A good decision, as I see it in retrospect.  It certainly paid for itself today and made me feel as if I had gone to a luxury spa.  It was so good!

I did not spend much to have the two bars put in.  I went to the building supply house and bought two 1 inch plumbing pipes that were threaded on both ends, four elbows the were threaded at both ends and four threaded brackets with screws.  I fitted them together and then had someone stronger than I, screw them into good studs.  They are supper solid and better than any that you can buy.  At the time I spent about $12.00 for what are basic plumbing pipes and fittings.  One of my more fruitful investments as I was having repairs made at the time, anyway.

If anyone were to do this in their own bathroom, just be sure that the holding brackets are screwed into good, solid wood with long wood screws.  It will last forever.

While I was enjoying the luxury and comfort of the shower I was thinking of all the people of all the nations that don't have such advantages or even running water.  We are a blessed nation.  We take so much for granted.  What we have, we think is our "just due."  You do not realize what is relevant until you no longer have it.  I do, even though I seldom speak of it.  I have been poor...very poor.  My family has been poor...very poor.  As the old adage goes, "You never miss the water 'til the well goes dry."  So, when the well is full you are thankful for it.  When there is food on the table you give thanks for a full stomach.  When there is a warm bed to sleep in and a roof above your head we are blessed beyond measure.  Be sure of it.  Whatever you are given can be taken.  Be certain of that, too.

Hey!  I got three visitors from China!  I don't know why anyone would want to read my poor blog, but I do welcome them.  Yea, China!  Yea, Everybody! 

I am still not doing any "real work," but I did make a macaroni salad, by standing on one foot.  I still feel like a stork that should be diving for fish, but it isn't fish that I want.  At least I can feed myself.  When I broke my arm I couldn't do that.  I soon learned to be "left handed," as necessary.

+++
 
HOLD THE
PHYSICIAN
IN HONOR
FOR HE IS
ESSENTIAL
TO YOU,
AND GOD IT WAS
WHO ESTABLISHED
HIS PROFESSION.
FROM GOD
THE DOCTOR
HAS HIS WISDOM
AND THE KING
PROVIDES
FOR HIS
SUSTENANCE.
 
 
Sirach 38: 1-2
 
 
This passage caught my attention and I thought how true it used to be.  Now with so much controversy over Medicare, Medicaid, Obama-care, plain greed and corruption in all tiers, and that now the Government is the new "King," how things have changed.  There is still good medicine and good Doctors trying to hang on and hang in, but my trip to the Clinic and the ER the other day, made me see how much the system has been compromised. And I have an insurance supplement.  I did not see the compassion and care that I saw just a few years ago.  Instead, I saw a tired, overworked Dr. and staff who probably just wanted to go home.  Is this new system better than the old?  I don't know...I just don't know.  P.S.  I had to be photographed just to bee seen.  Like...I am going to steal a bedpan?  You can tell I am a little bit miffed.
 
 
 
END




No comments: