Wednesday, May 25, 2011

ARE YOU PREPARED?

If you have been keeping up with the weather and the news then you know that anything can happen to anyone anywhere.  Are you prepared?

Our local emergency preparedness workers think they-we are prepared.  They are scared and  should be.  You can go to anyone of several church basements for shelter.  They have no food, no blankets, pillows, cots, or extra water other than what comes from the tap.  Basically, if the shelters are needed, you would be in out of the rain or wind, jammed in with a lot of other people.  Not so great.

You should have at least three days of food, water, flashlights or candles on hand.  That would be the bare minimum.  I keep candles, kerosene lamps, canned food and box staples on hand.  Have a good can opener.  When I fractured my arm and elbow it took me three days to open a can of soup.  I literally butchered that can of soup.  It looked like canned shrapnel.

I know that I have mentioned all this before in previous blogs, but I stopped writing about it.  You know what you can and need to do.  So do it.

I picked up my new eye drops this morning.   My heart just about stopped.  $101.89 for a tiny little bottle.  I have two other eye drops to pick up at the price of $46.00 per bottle.  These bottles contain 0.5 mil.  which isn't much.

The Mississippi River breach in the levee that was blasted open to save one small town will cost you plenty in the future.  Over 200 miles of farmland and the Mississippi Delta will not be viable for farming for at least another generation.  The town could have been rebuilt, but the farm land will take years and years to become productive again.  I hope you planted your tatters 'n onions.  God Bless the government for their "foresight."

The sirens have been going off...on and off..all eve.  I think we maybe on the fringe of the bad storms, but there is supposed to be a second wave coming in later tonight.  So...I will shut down this tired, old Dell that doesn't have a working sound card or a bus for pictures.

END

P. S.  the storm is upon us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greetings Mabel!!

The storms here in Central Illinois last night were wild. Several tornado warnings but I am not sure about damage at this time.

Most people are not prepared I am afraid. It does not seem to matter how many times they are told, they should always be prepared for any emergency it seems to fall on deaf ears. I am not as prepared as I would like to be but I am sure I have much more than others do. I keep working at it though.

I have some straw coming today to put over my potatoes. They have floated to the top of the surface with all the rain. I am sure glad I did not put seeds in yet!! Sure hope it stops soon as we are in for more rain today.

Take care and hope you are nice and dry now.

Love, Alice