Thursday, May 5, 2011

WHAT A MESS

You never know what you will find until you start pulling down ceilings.  What a mess, what a mess, oh, what a mess.  Under the regular ceiling was old sheet rock, then old insulation, then the loose insulation I had blown in some time ago.  All of it completely saturated, wet, wet, wet, and black and moldy.  Yes, I had an instant asthma event.  I had to get out of the house, as did the two men that were here doing the work.  I went off to the library to get into better air.  The two guys opened up windows and went out on the porch often to breath(or smoke) fresh air.  But, they did get the roof repaired just in time as more rain is in the forecast.  Everything in the living room is covered with tarp and most of the mess bagged.  Also, they got two strand 4x8's up.  They will be back tomorrow to finish putting up more strand board and start pulling off the paneling.  I don't know what is under the paneling, but it can't be half as bad as the ceiling...I hope.

Here I thought I was almost "debt free" and only owed Discover card about $15.00.  Now I am thinking that I may need a new couch.  I was also thinking that I would get new tires on the van in the fall, using my card.  Ding Dang, the plans are dead, along with the Wicked Witches of the North, South, and West, that sent all that rain.  They are some bad Mommas.

We seldom get storms out of the east, but when we do, they are usually epic.  Most of the rain we have been having have come up from the south and south west, stalling out over the mid-western states.  The radio's agriculture guy says that local farmers usually have the crops in the ground by now.  The paper shows photos of corn that came up, drowning in the flooded fields.  Some of the water is going down here and there, but there are still many roads and schools closed.  One good thing about my little house is that I am well above the "water line."  The water doesn't come in, it just comes down...on my head.

I have been trying to move things around so that I can get through the house without tripping.  I already almost fell this morning by tripping over the tarp, but one of the guys caught me.  If you remember, that is how I broke my widdle arm and elbow in the first place; tripping over a cord when I was cleaning the living room.  Now I am ever fearful of falling like that again.  Surgery and a month in a nursing home is just not appealing...nope, no fun at all.

The good thing about having to get out of this moldy house today is that I got to the library and even found a place to park.  I have books!

It is getting cold again and I can't turn the heat on because it(heater) is all covered up with tarp.  Such strange, strange weather.  I will get into my "warmies" early.  I have to get up early and hate getting up in a cold house, but you do what you gotta.

I still haven't got a new disk for my camera and I didn't want to take photos with the disk that I have because it would mean re-loading all the old stuff back into the computer.  I spent a lot of time the other night doing a super duper system clean up and the purging of clutter from the hard drive.  I want  to keep it as free as much as I can.  I regained 65% of memory and I am happy to keep this laptop going a little longer.  If you don't have a system machinec or similar program, try to get one.  They are worth the money you pay for them and it beats going to a tech. for repairs or buying a new computer.  And you get to keep it and use it as often as necessary.

Do you find my little blog boring?  Let me know what interests you.
END

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greetings Mabel!!

So very sorry to hear about all this mess. I pray they get the work done and it costs much less than expected!!

Your blog is anything but boring. I love reading it. It is a part of my morning routine and I rarely miss. Sometimes things do come up but not too often.

I lost my cat Missy last night. :-( I wrote about her on my blog, ceramicslady.blogspot.com

Hope you have a good day today and the work is finished.

Love, Alice