Saturday, May 7, 2011

Oversleeping

I did.  I overslept.  I set my clock radio for 7 AM and it didn't go off.  I forgot that the main breaker had been shut off several times yesterday.  The alarm didn't kick in.  Everything needs to be reset.  I didn't wake up until 9:20 AM.  No big problem as no one showed up until 12 noon.

I was tired.  I needed the rest.  My regular routine and lifestyle has been disrupted.  I haven't done anything physical, but this week has  worn me down.

The painting is 3/4 done, but needs a second coat.  The laun paneling and strand board has really soaked up the paint.  The painter is a woman who is trying to hold her family together.  Her husband is disabled and has had several spinal surgeries.  They are both in their early 40's. She is a good, careful painter.  Her husband was a construction worker until he got hit in the neck by an I beam.  She is doing what good wives do in bad situations and in bad times; trying to make both ends meet.

I made a pot of Barley Soup.  Maybe I should call it stew because it is thick and hearty.  I didn't use a recipe.  I used leftovers from the refrigerator.  I had some leftover BBQ'd chicken strips, leftover cooked cabbage, chopped up half an onion, added a half qt. of tomatoes that I had canned, 1 cup of barley, salt and pepper and 4 cups of water.  Tossed it all together and put it into the electric pressure cooker and it was good to go...or cook.  For leftovers, it turned out very good.  I could have used another cup of water, but it was pretty tasty.

Barley has a nut like flavor and is kind of chewy.  It isn't always easy to find, but I kept nagging Wal-Mart and they finally started stocking it.  It isn't very expensive and is cheaper than canned soup. esp. if you use leftovers...and you know what is in it.  No kown chemicals, hormones, rat droppings or insects are in my meals.  Barley is good for you, having fiber, low cholesterol, low fat and low salt.  I did a little cheating, though.  I bought a better frozen pizza and baked it myself.  One $5.49 pizza as opposed to a carry out or delivered pizza...no tip for the pizza guy, either.  And some left over...for breakfast!!

Tomorrow, Sunday, is Mother's day.  I wish all Mothers a good and happy day.  You never know what you are missing until your Mothers are gone.

I think I will go to bed early and sleep late.

END









2 comments:

Unknown said...

Greetings Mabel!!

You must have really needed the rest. Seems I do not sleep late no matter how tired I am, but I often take a nap in the afternoon.

Your soup sounds awesome. Home made soup using leftovers is usually the best kind of soup.

We are to get more rain later today. Seems never ending but we do get a day or sunshine now and again. Still have not gotten into the garden but got a start on uncovering it yesterday. It is going to need a lot of work, if it ever dries out long enough to do it.

Love ya, Alice

Unknown said...

Mabel, are you OK? No post last night? I am in shock, you don't miss. Praying all is OK.

Love ya, Alice