Wednesday, April 25, 2012

THY WILL BE DONE...



I've been rooting around in the closet, in boxes, under the sink and under the bathroom vanity, looking for things to use up and I wouldn't need to buy.  I found plenty.  I found lots of lotions, hair spray, rubbing alcohol and a variety of odds and ends that I can make good use of and save money.  Right now I have cloths in the washing machine that I know that I will never wear again, let alone get into them.  They will go to The Salvation Army, a little dated for some of them, but clean.  As I consider all these material goods I wonder how I ever managed to accumulate all of it.  No wonder my closet looks like the tornadoes that struck in Missouri not so long ago.

Secondly, all of these items and cloths are gathering dust and cobwebs, making me, a little on the asthmatic side, hard to breath, cough and have continual sinus problems.  Go dust, spiders and cobwebs.  As the light in the big walk-in closet was not working, the visitors that made my closet look like a haunted house, were not readily noticeable.  I fixed the light yesterday and let a little light shine into the small disaster area.  Yips!  A small flashlight just didn't reveal a whole lot, now it is very apparent!  Nope, but the fixed light did and is making me feel very negligent in all it's shinning glory.  "Now I can see clearly!" Yips again!  However, I am making progress and more progress will follow, esp. now that I can see what I am doing and what I have missed.  Yes, I really should have fixed the light before, but I now have a fear of falling and my arm just doesn't reach up and over my head as well as it used to.  Ah, excuses, excuses, you say.  Don't say it too load...I might hear you!

I found the following translation of the "OUR FATHER" in the new American Bible.  It really isn't so new as I have had this Bible for a long time.  I usually go to my really "old" Bible which I have had for a really, really long time, of the 1957 vintage.  Here it is in the "newer" translation of 1970.

FATHER
HALLOWED BE YOUR NAME 
YOUR KINGDOM COME
GIVE US EACH DAY
OUR DAILY BREAD
FORGIVE US OUR SINS
FOR WE TOO FORGIVE
WHO DO US WRONG
AND SUBJECT US
NOT TO THE TRIAL.

I copied this version straight from the "Book."  It doesn't feel right.  It doesn't flow right. There is a certain richness in the original text or translation, that just isn't there in the new version, and even the whole line of "thy will be done...on earth as it is in heaven," is not there to compliment the prayer as we learned and know it.  Call me old fashioned or a conservative, but I will stick with the old "OUR FATHER."

END










No comments: