Monday, November 12, 2012

THE WORRY STONE

"Baby it's cold outside."  We have had our first real frost for the season here, and a hard frost is coming tonight.  I have been out picking off as many green tomatoes as I can to bring inside to ripen, even the small ones.  The frost ate all around the edges of my plants even 'though they are in a protected area.  I know Old Man Jack Frost will be out and about tonight, roving and and nipping and biting at anything that has defied him so far.  Well, there is a season for everything, isn't there?

Back in the late 60's and into the 70's the WORRY STONE was a popular hippie item and I have one to this very day(even 'though I was never a hippie).  The object of the worry stone is that you rub it with your fingers and rub your worries, tensions and anxieties away.  In a sense it really does help, but is not the answer to alleviate the underlying cause of any internal conflicts that may be the core of all distress. 
 

Life, from birth to death, is the total sum of what we are and what we become.  How we respond to all the little and big stumbling stones is  our epic story-journey on the road of passage from "here to there."  Everyone has an epic story and you do to, and everyone could use a "worry stone."

My "worry stone(s)" are the rosary and I have mentioned this before.  The recitation of this simple prayer gives me peace and I  do love the rosary. I am going to re-print some of a post that I wrote some time ago.  I had meant to do so back in October, in the Month of Mary, but never got around to it.  I hope no one minds that it is "old" and that I am "slow."
+++
 
THE ROSARY
 
I love the rosary.
I love praying the rosary.
It is not a requirement.
It is not an obligation.
It is not a sacrament.
I am compelled
by the Spirit
to pray the rosary.
It is a meditation.
Therefor, to me,
it is an inner sacrament.
No man, priest, bishop
or even the Pope, 
can bestow this
inner grace upon me.
It is a gift of grace
that is given to me,
a seed planted,
to be nourished,
and ever growing.
It gives me peace.
 
 

Not everyone prays the rosary.  Not all Catholics pray the rosary.  Not everyone is familiar with the rosary, but more and more non-catholics are learning to pray the rosary.  It is a powerful prayer.  It is a kind of "worry stone" for those that do pray it.  Unlike the hippie worry stones, it can give you real peace from all the troubles of the day.  And the Blessed Mother is pleased that we give her honor as we ask her to pray for us.  As we ask our earthly mothers to pray for us, so shall she, the BVM=the Blessed Virgin Mother.
 

END

No comments: