Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Beans and Rice...Rice and Beans? Nooooooooooo!

I like rice and I like beans, just wouldn't want to eat them every day. Some of the Survivalist Bloggers advocate such a diet should the "grid" go down or the economy fail...not like it isn't in free fall already. I guarantee if you had to eat beans and rice every day for up-teem days, months or even years, a lot of marriages would soon waft away on a malodorous breeze or the spouses would be all sleeping on couches or out in their "bug out vehicles" Their wives would be spraying lots of "Fresh" air deodorizers. Evan Dave Ramsey, the credit guy, advocates "Beans and Rice" as a means of getting out of debt, but I bet he doesn't eat beans and rice now!

Here is my Mother's recipe for a pretty good vegetable dish. It is far better than beans and rice. She would add to it either chopped chicken, tuna or canned corn beef. We loved it.

BISCUIT-TOPPED VEGETABLE PIE
2 cups sifted flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening
1 egg beaten
1 cup milk
4 cups cooked mixed vegetables
(peas, carrots, celery, Lima beans)
1/cup vegetable stock
2 Tablespoons butter
Sift dry ingredients together. Cut in shortening. Combine eggs and milk: add to dry ingredients, stirring until mixed. Arrange hot seasoned vegetables in a greased shallow pan. Add vegetable stock. Dot with butter and cover with biscuit mixture. Bake at 424 F. for 20 to 25 minutes. serve with mushroom sauce or tomato sauce. Serves about 6. If a tomato or mushroom sauce is needed just mention it and I can type it up into the next post.
You can make this dish with canned mixed vegetables. Use the liquid in the cans for vegetable stock. If you use canned vegetables you will not need to cook them. You can add a small amt. of flour to the liquid and stir well if you want it to come out creamy., but it isn't really
necessary.
I started the day with good intentions, but as usual didn't get much done, but not because I didn't try. I got one load of cloths washed and dried, the dishes done, and the guy from Corner Home Care came to check my O2 concentrator and Pap machine. I hate it when I plan to get stuff done and can't because I have to hurry up and wait for someone to show.
I didn't take my laptop out either...darn!
END

No comments: