Thursday, October 29, 2009





I am one of those people that likes to be prepared. Of course, you can't be prepared for everything, but you can have on hand some of the ordinary items needed if a storm comes up, the lights go out, a blizzard blows in or the winds howl at your door and rattle your windows. In the years that I have lived in Kentucky all of these weather events have happened here. So I have what I need, in the short term, at least.
I have a box full of candles, flashlights, a wind-up weather radio with it's own lite and kerosene. In the back storage room I have a kerosene heater and on the front porch I have hanging lanterns. All are usable, working and I have had to use them in the past. The silver flashlight I hung around my neck while taking care of residents(the home generator did not work). I have more candles than in the pictures and when the power went down during a summer storm my neighbors came over because I had a crank-up radio with a light in it.
Contrary to some opinions, Kentucky is not a bit backward in culture and modern technology. However, geographically, this state is in the cross hairs of unpredictable weather patterns and vagaries and the grass isn't blue either. Parts of Kentucky are poor, but so are parts of every state in the Union. As it says in the Bible, "The Poor are always with us." For the most part Kentucky is a rich state and diversified-like the weather.
Speaking of weather, it continues to rain..and rain..and rain some more. The air is damp and chilly and I have cold toes. I turned the heat up.
There is nothing on TV and I finished off all the books I got from the library. I guess I will maybe look for some more books to read tomorrow and take myself out to eat...maybe.
END

No comments: