Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Radishes


In the late season of gardening you may find some odd produce that you have missed, become to large or have reseeded without help from any green thumbs. One plant that can and will do that is little radish that you consider a spring delicacies or a salad garnish. When a radish gets bigger or "too big" it gets hot, something like a hot pepper and you can be breathing fire out your nostrils, like a little bi-pedaled dragon....hot, hot, hot! I have been telling a friend all summer that when a radish gets too big or too hot, you can fry it or them. She says "I have never heard of such a thing!" Well, you can and I have. Frying a radish takes the heat out of the radish and it has a good flavor. Here is the recipe.




FRIED RADISHES



3 BUNCHES OF RADISHES

2 TABLESPOONS OF FAT, BUTTER OR OLIVE OIL

1/2 TEASPOON SALT

1/8 TEASPOON PEEPER



Wash radishes and slice

Fry in fat, butter or Olive Oil for 15 minutes

stirring frequently

Season. Serves around 8
I prefer to fry radishes in butter. You do not have to have 3 bunches if you are only cooking for yourself. Use less. If you decide to use a deep fryer they will come out like little chips. There are other ways to cook radishes and if anyone happens to show interest I will post them.
It is a cold, deary, rainy day and I cant' really get into the garden without getting into mud. I want to cover my big, ol' smoker and firewood with a tarp, but just don't want to get wet. Sissy me.


END






No comments: