Monday, October 26, 2009

Salad and Food



Here is my masterful salad. It contains lettuce, spinach, Swiss Chard, baby dandelion greens, cherry tomatoes, baby radishes, a boiled egg and lots of bacon, with dressing. The picture is just a bit blurry; I must have been too close. It was compiled from what is still growing in the garden and was very filling. Some things simply re-seeded themselves. Yum.

Gumbo is a more southern dish, than a Kentucky dish, but I happen to love good gumbo, so I am including a recipe for anyone that enjoys a good, rich "soup."

CRAB AND SHRIMP GUMBO

  1. 3. qts thinly slice Okra
  2. 1. qt. peeled, deveined shrimp
  3. 2 cans whole tomatoes
  4. 2 lbs. claw crab meat
  5. lb. gumbo crabs
  6. i bell pepper, chopped
  7. 2 bunches green onions, chopped
  8. 1 bunch of parsley, chopped
  9. 3 cups celery, chopped
  10. Salt, Tabasco, Lea & Perrine's, Thyme and Kitchen Bouquet for color

Fry Okra until not ropey. Sprinkle with flour lightly. Brown. Add tomatoes with 1 t. spoon of sugar. Cook again, then add onions and other seasonings. Cook 1/2 hour , stirring frequently. Add crab meat and shrimp and simmer 1/2 hour more. Serve over cooked rice.

I have and use frozen Okra, and left over fish if I have some. I also use an envelope of gravy mix in my gumbo toward the end of cooking. This a recipe you can deviate or change, according to what you have on hand.

Reg. gas went down .10 cents from $2.59 to $2.49. The newscaster on the radio said "analyst's don't know why" the price of oil and gas has that jumped again. I am sure most of us can guess. Winter is coming and profiteering is viable for the cold season. There is a glut of gas right now and the consumer has cut back, so the oil companies need to pay the shareholders...right?

I bought some real butter today. It was said by the all knowing government, nutritionist and scientists, that butter was bad for you...or your cholesterol. Now they say that it isn't the case after all. Just in case you want to know, I don't really care. I wanted it for cooking and because it is good.

JOKE: The Sunday School teacher asked; "Now Johnny, did you say a prayer before eating?" Little Johnny replied, "No Mame, I don't need to, my Mom is a good cook."

And that's the way to cook...maybe...

END

No comments: