Saturday, October 10, 2009

Humble Pie-Oatmeal Pie

Today I am going to post an easy pie recipe. It isn't my recipe or my Mother's. It is the recipe of Sister Francis, LSP. She was the cook at the home where I worked. She is now deceased, but was famous for and well remembered for her baked goods.
I will relate what little I knew of her. I believe she lost her parents at an early age and she and her siblings were in an orphanage. When she turned 18 she went and got each of them out and I guess raised them thereafter. She joined the army and became an army cook. When she was sitting on the front steps of an army barracks in Texas she heard a noise near her feet. When she looked down there was a big Rattle Snake at her feet. I suppose she moved pretty fast in those days; fast enough to live and tell about it. When she left the service she became a Little Sister of the Poor. She was a humble, good person. Sometimes when I would go past the chapel to check on the residents I would hear here snoring in her pew. I would go in and wake her up so she could go to bed. She was elderly even then. Anyway her is her recipe. Whenever the home had a bake sale her baked goods were the first to sell out.


SISTER FRANCIS'S OATMEAL PIE
1/3 cup melted butter or margarine
3/4 cupbrown sugar
1/3 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup white syrup
1/3 teaspoon vanilla
4 eggs
2/3 cup oatmeal
2 (9 inch) unbaked pie shells
Mix butter, sugar, cinnamon, salt, syrup, vanilla, eggs and oatmeal. Pour into unbaked pie shells. Moisten edges of pie shells. Bake at 325 for 1 hour.
The sun was out today, but it was a watery blue. The predictions are for more rain, off and on most of this coming week. So be it. Better than snow.
END

No comments: