Thursday, January 7, 2010

Cans and Spam


This my 300 th post. Do I get a prize?

I have to apologize for not posting photos of the newly fallen snow. There just wasn't enough to get excited about. There is more snow to the west and north of where I am. Blowing, powdery snow, yes: cold and miserable winter weather. Is only12 degrees right now at 5 P. M. and getting colder.

I found a good way to clean the bristles of my broom. Just sweep the snow off the porch and any dirt comes out with the snow. Really.

I went outside a couple of times to do a some things, but you can't bet I didn't stay out long. The cover I made to seal the foundation didn't work as I wanted it to because I made it too big. I tried to kick it in place, but it isn't a good solution, I will try again tomorrow.

I finally got the big crock pot of homemade vegetable soup going. I used a half a can of Spam instead of chicken because I want to use up some of what I have. Last summer when Spam was on sale I bought a number of cans for $1.00 each can. As I am not crazy about Spam I am looking for ways to use it.

I also intended to get the sewing machine out and do some minor repairs on my slacks. It was a good intention..and I will get it done, but not today.

I will soon start to save empty soup cans. I will rinse them out and put them aside to start plants in, around March. If anyone does this, remember to put a couple holes in the bottom of the cans for drainage. I can't see buying starting pots when I toss out good containers on a daily basis. I will be looking through the seed catalogs, too, getting ready to order.

I may have said this before: My Mother used empty cans with both ends removed to collar tomato plants in order to deter cut and tomato worms. You can also use to empty paper paper cores from bathroom tissue and they are biodegradable. Hey, live cheap-die rich? Or is it the other way around?

As my feet are cold and it is getting later I will end here. Stay warm. END

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank you for your comment on my blog
your comments are always welcome

I added myself to follow your blog
the next time you visit mine you are more than welcome to add yourself as a follower

God bless you, Ron