Friday, January 8, 2010

Food for me and some for the birds




In the aluminum pan there is a conglomeration of stale leftovers, pork fat and even chopped up tangerine skins. I put it all in a orange mesh bag and hung it outside for the birds. The birds can not get food as getting to their sources are under the snow. I was late getting it out. My back door was hard to get open, but it finally moved. I just wore my fleece top and bottoms out and soon was aware that people lose their body heat fast and freeze to death quickly in this type of environment. I left the storm door open and the inner door open so that I could get back in quickly. I was only out for about 5 minutes. Most of me warmed up pretty quickly except for my feet. I have had "cold feet" since I was a little kid and my feet tend to perspire a lot, even in the winter. If I can keep my tootsies warm and dry I am warm all over.
This set me to thinking: You should always have a couple extra pairs of socks in your pocket or on your person if you are going to be out in the cold for long. I also have extra gloves in case one pair gets wet. I just couldn't find them yesterday-I have them now, ready.
In the top right pictures is the crock pot full of good, home made vegetable soup. You can tell I have been enjoying it by the high(low)soup ring around the top. It turned out pretty good. I will freeze part of it and eat the rest-until I get tired of it.
By making up the bird dish I really got rid of a lot of stale stuff in the refrigerator. I had been saving up fat from my cooking just for the birds just in case we had such weather. Last year I didn't do a very good job of taking care of the birds during the big ice storm. This year is a definite improvement over what I was doing at this time in January.
If your joints are all aching, and your stiff and pained, blame Global Warming...not. I know it was warmer 25 and 30 years ago, as I was able to till the garden in March. I would till several times before spring planting time. I am looking foreword to warmer days come to come.

No comments: