Wednesday, February 3, 2010

lighting the darkness





CNN and the Weather Channel are indicating a massive snow storm moving across the plains
and heading for the East coast. It should miss this area where I sit by about fifty miles north of here. Even so, we may get 2 to 4 inches of snow-rain-ice, or maybe all of the mentioned.
Last year Kentucky was hit very hard by an ice storm that left whole cities in the dark and without heat for several weeks. No one expected what they got, but they had to endure. We are not the hardy pioneers and settlers of yesteryear. A lot of Kentuckians had a difficult time of it. No power-no heat-no food-no water-no fun.
I consider myself lucky even though I was recovering from a surgical repair of a very badly fractured elbow. I had it all: electricity, heat, TV, phone and food. Across the street and behind me...well, they had a few problems. Now you know why I stock up and prepare the best I can for whatever may come my way.
In the photos are shots of one oil lamp; one of many that I have. They are filled and ready to lite. The one in the picture has a reflector behind the lamp chimney. It reflects more light into the room. The lamp chimney is frosted and cuts down the light, but I have a clear chimney to replace it. Kerosene lamps need daily maintenance for optimal light. The glass chimney should be cleaned every day to remove any soot. Don't try removing the chimney while it is hot or you may spit out a few words your mother never taught you. The wick should be trimmed daily...you know...that black stuff on the end of the wick where the flame is. To keep the soot down, turn the wick down. Turn that little wheel on the side of the of lamp. That little wheel will regulate the size of the flame. You don't want a big flame. Look at the photo; that is big enough. Kerosene...buy some. Get the qt. containers for your lamp(s). Above all, use caution. Place lamp(s) on a level, sturdy, non-flammable surface. Keep little fingers away and be careful of your own.
You can make your own reflector by covering a non-flammable material with aluminum foil with the shinny side out and placing it behind the lamp. Don't make it too heavy and knock over the lamp. Look at the photo. If you get real industrious you can make one out of metal with tin snips. Cut metal can cut fingers, so be careful.
Because we never know what Mother Nature has in mind I guess a trip to the store for eggs, milk and bread wouldn't be too outrageous. I just need to get there fairly early before the wild rush starts and everyone panics and starts yelling "Snow!"
Now, wasn't this a nice informative post...hmmm?
END

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I pray that God keeps you safe

in Jesus name Amen!

God bless you, Ron