Monday, February 8, 2010

Ode to a Snow Sovel-not

Beverly now has heat and lights. I imagine that is a relief and far more comfortable. More snow is zipping through the mid-west on its way to the east coast. The weather man here calls it a 1-2-3 knock out punches. There is a silver lining to all this: it is alleviating the drought all over the country. I am pretty sure Californians are not too happy about all the rain they are getting, but come summer there may be less fires.

I am reading a good book titled THE WINDUP GIRL. It is all about the genetic manipulating of plants, food products, no oil and reverting back to lesser, baser ways. It is how civilization crashes and burns and then adapts. It is a pretty good novel, not dry or boring or overly rank with violence...not so far, anyway.

I cooked rice and fish tonight. I am not really that fond of fish unless it is shrimp, lobster or sole. But it was in the freezer and needed to be used/cooked up. The rice turned out OK. I added a can of sun dried tomatoes and that gave it some flavor. I have always liked rice, even plain with butter on top. So, it was an "OK" supper, but I would rather go to Red Lobster for seafood. They just cook better than I do...at least fish.

I turned my heat back slightly. I need to be a bit more conservative. My heating bill was $140 dollars this past month. That may not seem a lot to most folks, but it is when your drawing S. S. After working 40 years those checks seem to be a small pittance. I do well enough, but I to have enough money to buy a new lawn mower in the spring. I am not suffering and only turned the heat back slightly.

I may have to shovel a little snow tomorrow. If I do, I hope my arm holds up. They are predicting 2 or 4 inches here, but Mother Nature is so fickle and you can't outguess her.

END

No comments: