Monday, February 1, 2010

Fire Starter




In these days of unsettled weather and trying times I think it is a good idea to put together a fire-starting kit. This one is pretty easy to make and you can carry it in the glove box of your car
Two empty medicine bottles, one stuffed with ordinary cotton. Add 2 teaspoons of oil-any kind of oil- to the cotton and seal.
In the second bottle add wooden striking matches and seal. I used duct tape to seal both containers. I recommend sealing with wax, also, just to make sure moisture can not enter the containers. Put the fire starters in a small tin or sealable bag.
You will note there is a pile of matches in the picture. These are old matches that were in the the original kit. They have lost their magic, fizz, fire. Don't throw them away Wrap them and seal them, too. Even 'though they have lost their spark they will ignite if a good match is applied to them. It is like having instant tinder. Also, I have added a Bic Lighter to my small kit as additional option or backup.
Call me paranoid, but I try to be ready or prepared for whatever comes my way. This is so simple and easy to do: everyone should make one and keep it in their car or in a safe place in the house.
END

No comments: