Friday, July 30, 2010

Chicken in the (roaster)pot


I sort of threw this together and it has everything in it. It has protein, starch and vegetables. It may not pass Chief Gorden Ramsey's(food network)plating standards, but it tasted pretty good to me.
The dressing is about half rice and that tasted good, too. This the first time I have had the oven on since the new air conditioner went in the window. The kitchen stayed reasonable even though it got a little warm: it was nothing uncomfortable. And yes, I ate the whole plate full of food. I have plenty left over for another meal or two...maybe three or four, but I like it so much!
The mice are eating the bait I put out. It says on the box to keep putting the bait out for 15 days. I hope it works well without a strange smell permeating the whole house.
My electric bill was just under $85.00. I guess I have run it up by using two air conditioners and several fans. In this heat it is necessary, but I will be glad when I can cut back a little.
Some are saying that we will have an early frost and winter because the bugs are singing early and there are black woolly worms crawling about. I know the tree frogs have been vocal for the past month.
I need to go get some kerosene for my oil lamps and some kerosene for the kerosene heater. I keep putting it off, but I should do it soon. As the summer winds down, the prices will inch up, just like gas does in good weather and around holidays.
The grass needs to be mowed again. It has needed it since Wednesday. I mowed on Saturday. It has really grown fast, even without rain.
If you have been following the news you will see that there are a lot of wild fires in Russia, just like in California. The reports are that the fires and droughts will cut into the Russian grain crops. The Russians have been half starved for generations and will probably deal with shortages better than we would. I also read that we are importing much more than we are exporting. We don't have grain to export-it is mostly gone. Glenn Beck should touch on this. This is basic. When Americans get hungry Congress better hide their false bravado and "good times are here again" songs. Wasn't it Roosevelt who made a speech saying that there would be a " Car in every drive way and a chicken in every pot?" The only thing that ended the Depression of the thirties was WWII. Lets hope we don't go that route again. I...put the chicken in my pot.
END....P. S> I think I will make drop dumplings with the juices-liquid...yum.

No comments: