Friday, July 23, 2010

Heat

Extreme heat. Extreme humidity. High temperatures. High index figures. Mow the grass. Extremely drenched-soaked with sweat. Drank lots of fluid.

I had not intended to mow the yard, but tomorrow-Saturday-is supposed to be even worse. The weather man says it will rain on Sunday and we will go right back into the cook pot on Monday. The grass really did need a haircut. I got the back yard done in increments of five minutes behind the mower and five minutes in the chair. The front yard is not mowed, but I will get to it...maybe.

I was shucking corn this afternoon. Some ears were poorly formed, some were very small and some ears had no kernels at all. I was thinking that if the commercial farmers were having bad crops of corn like the corn I grew, there will be a shortage in the fall. I avoid chemicals on my garden so maybe I am to blame for such a poor showing.

I am saving the shucks and cobs to put in the smoker. The ashes I will put on the garden. I will do the same with the corn stalks. I do know that some ashes are good for a garden and will help return nitrogen to the soil.

My small Cherry tree that was planted last year and was doing well, suddenly died. I thought the kid next door might have hit it with the weed whacker, but yesterday I took a better look at it and found some kind of wet, mouldy growth around the graft. I have never seen that on a tree before. I will have to cut it down with the lopper and burn it. I should have guessed the kid next door didn't do it because he is not taking care of his own yard and all his weeds are growing through the fence and into my yard.

I had a late lunch or early supper, if you will. I had fried bacon and eggs with home fried small potatoes. You will say "CHOLESTEROL!" and I will say, "it sure was good!" No one lives forever and if you have to deprive yourself for a couple extra years on the calender...well, I would rather be happy and well fed while I can enjoy it.

I think I may try dehydrating some green peppers and see how that turns out. Let you know later.

END

No comments: