Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Shopping

I went out shopping this afternoon in spite of the heat. There where a few items on sale that that I needed. I priced bleach the other day, but didn't buy it. Family Dollar has it on sale for $1.50 per gallon. I found ammonia for $1.00 and canned Mackerel(fish) for $1.00 per can. I bought four cans. I looked at it at the regular supermarket and it was $1.59 per can. I like it as well, if not better, than Tuna, and you get twice as much for your money. You can make a good "tuna" salad with Mackerel or good fried "Salmon Cakes." Last week I bought generic Corn Flakes and Cheerios at Wal Mart. The only difference from the brand name products is the that generic cereals come in plain boxes as Great Value and you get almost double the cereal. I just don't need the fancy boxes that most cereal boxes come in.

We have deluded ourselves into thinking that products in pretty boxes are the best buys on the shelf. I will go as far as saying Tide detergent and Campbell soups are pretty good, but more expensive. On a limited budget, I usually buy the house brand for most product.

The temperature for Thursday is supposed to be 97 degrees with a heat index of over 100. That means I plan on sitting right next to the air conditioner if not right on top of it. We "might" get rain on Friday-maybe. I planted two melon plants a couple months ago and they just now getting blossoms. I can see tomato blossoms from the porch/patio. Maybe... I'll get tomatoes before frost, if it rains.

I picked up a couple more wooden garden baskets and took them out to Judy and returned her buckets at the same time. I didn't hose out her buckets because I figured they will just re-fill them with dirty stuff from their garden. I didn't intend to be so lazy about it, but it is just too hot out there to be working.

Tomorrow I hope to put up a couple pictures with my post.

END

No comments: