Friday, July 9, 2010

There are days

There are days when things just do not go the way you think they should. My mother's old pressure cooker/canner is probably older than I am. I had little annoying things happen when old canners sometimes misbehave. I guess it needs a new sealing ring although it got the job done. I could see it losing steam around the lid. And the safety plug was leaking, too. Neither are big problems as the ring is easily replaced and I have extra plugs. It just makes the canning a bit slower.

I was almost ready to do the canning of beets when I almost panicked. I didn't have canning lids. All I could find was wide mouth lids. Everything was cooking away and so was I. I thought I would have to change cloths and run to the store and get lids for my jars. I rummaged in the far back corner of the pantry and found two boxes of lids. I am not sure how old they or if they will seal. I should have checked before I got started. I will buy new lids and hope these seal the jars.

I canned seven quarts of beets this evening and have some left over. The canner only holds seven quart jars so it will take another season to finish the rest. Surprise! I have another canner that I bought years ago from Sears. It is a tall canner and is harder for me to handle, but I already have it out and ready to use.

The canning has about wore my arm out and I am feeling discomfort tonight. I had to use it to lift jars in and out and pots of water back and forth. Well, it will recover and it will be useful for the next canning job.

Ah, if you could see my kitchen. Beets went skittering across the floor and there is beet juice all over. I have wiped up most of it, but it needs some TLC tomorrow. I just didn't have things laid out and in order before I started. I remedy that, too.

Canning is not an easy task. There are several steps to follow and lots of preparation. I think lots of survivalist first time gardeners will fall by the wayside when they find out how much time and work is involved. Just because someone can raise a garden doesn't mean they can be successful at preserving. Just look at me. For as hard as I worked today I don't know if my jars will seal and be preserved. I hope all has gone well with my endeavor, but even the best of canners have bad days or bad results. And it isn't over yet. The are more beets in the garden and lots of other goodies.

RULE OF THE DAY; Check your resources/supplies before you start!!

No comments: