Thursday, July 15, 2010

Salt, Salt, and Salt

The salt in this can corroded the metal rim and little flaks of metal fell into the salt.



SALT. Can't live without it. The human body must have salt. We use it in everything, cooking, seasoning, preserving, canning, even cleaning. No salt, no proper body metabolism. Too much salt is not so good either, and can mess with the human wellness machine. So, life is all about salt in one form or another. Just ask all the little fishes of the sea-the ones that don't swim in the Gulf, that is.
Most commercially canned foods have salt added in the process of canning so you don't really need to add salt unless you are addicted to sodium. Table salt has Iodine added to help prevent goiters. Goiters were a common affliction at one time, but after adding the Iodine, most common goiters have been vanquished. Also, a starch is added to table salt to help it run freely. Remember the slogan on the Morton's salt container, "When it rains it pours?" You can use common table salt for pickling or canning garden produce, but it is apt to be a little cloudy.
The better choice for canning and pickling is the real Pickling and Preserving Salt made especially for the home harvester. Ball puts a good product and other brands are available, as well.
But...never...never buy Pickling and Preserving Salt in a metal container. I posted a picture to show you why. Salt corrodes. It eats away the metal rims of the canister. Even though I just opened up the can in the photo , it was affected by the mineral that also eats cars, and other metals. I tried to salvage the salt in the metal rimmed, aluminum sealed can, but ultimately I bought a new package in a plastic bag. Whether it would be harmful or not, I don't know: I don't want to find out.
I did stay in, right near the a/c. The temperature did go up to 97-98 with a "real feel" heat index of 105 , 110, depending on which weather channel you listened to or which one you wanted to believe. It made no difference-it was hot!
When I was out on Wed. I forgot to pick up a couple of items. Since I have to go out tomorrow I will try to get what I need. I should start making a list. Oh well...
Big brother called this evening. I think he is lonesome and isolated. His wife asks for prayers for her very serious condition. Keep her in mind.
END

No comments: