Thursday, December 30, 2010

Trembler

I am still making changes.  Every bit of the snow is gone.

The Earth  is never still.  Something is always going on, above, on the crust or down below. It's an illusion to think that the ground beneath your feet is solid and unmovable.  Here we sit, on thee New Madrid fault line, thinking that what is here today will be here tomorrow.  From the New Madrid fault, smaller, known and undiscovered faults branch out in many directions...like the roots of a great spreading tree. New earth fractures occur and are found fairly frequently.  And here we, oblivious to what moves us.

We had a small awakening...except it didn't wake me.  Yes, I too, was oblivious, snug and warm in my bed early in the morning.  I think the Ohio River often acts as a buffer against the "small" one.  When when we get the "big one" the buffer may not 'buffer."

We had a little trembler.  In my post about having a survival kit I forgot to mention that it would be good to have an adjustable wrench available for turning off the gas line and knowing just where the shut off valve is.  Yes, I do have one(wrench).  I know where the shut off valve is.  I know how and I have done it. If you don't know how, have someone show you.  It isn't hard and it is important.  It could be the difference between a fire or an explosion.

I went to the Goodwill store this afternoon.  I didn't get much.  There was a man there buying up all the woven baskets he could carry out. It isn't really fair that dealers  come in and clean out all the good stuff.  That is free enterprise at work, I suppose.  I still am not thrilled about it, but so it goes.
*
Fellow Travelers
-
Today I take your hand,
Tomorrow you may need mine;
We share in one great love,
The love of thee Devine.
-
Today I sooth your brow,
 Tomorrow you'll comfort me,
We have a common bond,
It's called humanity.
-
Dorothy Niederburger
_*

The New  Virtue
_
There is a virtue that may be new to the hearing of many.
It was discovered and named by Aristotle.
He called it Eutrapelia.
Eutrapelia may be defined as
"playfulness in good taste."
****
If you see oppression of the poor,
and violations of rights
and justice in the realm,
do not be shocked
by the fact,
for the high official
has another higher than he
watching him
and above these
are others higher still-.
*
Ecclesiastes 5,vs. 7
*
END




  






1 comment:

Unknown said...

You had a trembler and we are under a tornado watch. "Fear not, for God is with you" is the verse that comes to mind to me today. :-) wishing you a very Happy New Year!!