Saturday, December 18, 2010

T'is the Season




This is the only Christmas tree I'm putting up this year. It doesn't take up much room, I don't have to decorate it, and it is easy to "take down" and put away 'til next year. When I first moved into this house I went out and bought a full size tree and did the whole decorating deal. Then, it was time to undo everything I did and put it all away. A lot of effort and not the real meaning of Christmas. Lots of symbolism and tradition, all well and good, but don't you think Christmas should be a "mind think" all year long instead of just a few weeks of frantic buying, expecting, begging and demanding material goods? I don't want to be the one to toss cold snow on your holidays, but Christmas is supposed to be about the Christ Mass, the celebration of the coming of Emmanuel...not the birthday of Jesus. Historians will debate the true "birth date" of Jesus , although most will indicate a springtime arrival of the Christ Child. Celebrate when you wish, just don't forget the meaning, you know, "The Reason for the Season."

I made it out to Wal-Mart. It is still very cold. The ice on the front steps melted, but the van still had a covering of ice. Even after driving it out to Wal-Mart and back, the ice had not melted off the van.

I didn't get much from Wal-Mart; money is tight. That is why I have hit as many grocery sales as possible. Not to just spend money, but trying to save money in the long run. Wouldn't you know, my eye drops cost $98.00 today and that smarts. Och.
*


AND A GREAT SIGN
APPEARED IN HEAVEN:
A WOMAN CLOTHED
WITH THE SUN,
AND THE MOON
WAS UNDER HER FEET,
AND UPON HER HEAD
A CROWN OF TWELVE STARS.
AND BEING WITH CHILD
SHE CRIED OUT
IN HER TRAVAIL
AND WAS IN THE ANGUISH
OF DELIVERY.

*

Apocalypse 12-IV, 1 &2

*
Won't you become a follower?
-
END










1 comment:

Unknown said...

My tree is a little bit bigger than yours but not the huge 6' tree I used to deal with. Just a few decorations in the house. No presents under the tree. Who can afford them? Besides, like you, I would rather celebrate the birth of the King rather than see what I can get.

We are to get snow the next couple of days with freezing rain and ice tomorrow night. That has been the pattern so far this year, snow followed by ice. Just enough to make things slick and not safe to be out and about in.

Tomorrow I will do my grocery shopping for Christmas dinner. Nothing too fancy, but should be a nice meal anyway, with lots of leftovers for the following week.

Have a blessed day!