Saturday, December 25, 2010

Garden-itis

I hope everyone had a joyful, holy Christmas.


I snitched this picture from another web site; http://backwoodhome.blogspot.com/JackieClay/


Well, I was going to take a picturesque picture of the snow, but the batteries are dead in the camera. The batteries are in the charger now....waiting, waiting...for a slow charging. By the time plant the batteries are up there will not be much snow left to look at. It is melting and we only got about 2-1/2 inches of it anyway. However, I am sure it will snow again before winter is done and gone.

I am looking at my seed catalogues trying to decide what I want to plant and how to go about it, or the easiest way for my arm to handle a garden. Also, I got to thinking that last year I had a tractor come in and till the garden. As I consider this, I consider that the it was tilled too deeply, turning up the heavy clay soil of the Ohio Valley. That may be the reason that my garden did so poorly in the season of drought. We have had droughts before and will again. This time the root systems of the plants had nowhere to go. Things just don't grow well in heavy clay.

I have been watching the weather reports for the east coast most of the day. It looks like they are gonna get it. I hope they all have bread, milk, flashlights and lots of toilet paper. I am sure lots of people have leftovers from Christmas dinner.
*
BEHOLD I SEND MY ANGEL,
AND HE SHALL PREPARE
THE WAY BEFORE MY FACE.
AND PRESENTLY
THE LORD WHOM YOU SEEK,
AND THE ANGEL
OF THE TESTAMENT,
WHOM YOU DESIRE,
SHALL COME TO HIS TEMPLE.
*
Malachi 3, vs. 1
*
END

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mabel, it looks like both of us are thinking about our gardens. We are fortunate here to have good nutrient rich soil.

As I had problems this past year with grass and weeds still in the garden area I covered the area with thick black plastic. The lack of sun, even in the winter time, will kill off the roots and next year should be so much better.

Now the fun part is deciding what to plant. I want to start most of my seeds indoors late winter. The costs of plants from the garden center is getting very high. Besides I am hoping to have all heirloom varieties of everything I plant next year. I want to start saving my own seeds year after year.

When I laid out the plastic I enlarged the size of my garden. Next year I will use the plastic in the walk ways of the garden to limit the weeds from coming up there and hopefully do a lot less weeding in the process.

Happy Gardening!!