Monday, December 27, 2010

Plan now Hoe later

The snow is almost gone..good..goodby to snow.

As the holy(i)days ebb and the season slowly changes, so will I, in accordance with Mother Nature. The garden catalogues are starting to find a home in my mailbox and they my set my earthly instincts growing. I know that I will do things a little differently this spring. I will use a method that I used way back when, and gave me the best garden I ever had. Straw bales broken up and strewn between the rows and plants. The straw held the moisture and retarded the growth of weed. In my old age I don't like bending over and pulling weeds down a long row of plants and having to water every day. Nope, don't want to work that hard anymore, but I like to eat 'though! So...I am planning.

I am not buying much in the way of groceries for the time being. I have lots to use up and don't need much, other than an occasional loaf of bread and some milk. In truth, I have both in the freezer and a box of powdered milk...just in case. I don't need to go out in the cold or brave the roads in bad weather. That makes me happy because I don't like cruddy weather.

I went to the library the other day, as I mentioned. The books I brought home just don't grab my attention. I may take them back and look for something else.


I am trying to think of a good New Year's resolution.

*

OF KINDNESS AND JUDGEMENT
I WILL SING;
TO YOU O LORD
I WILL SING PRAISE.
I WILL PERSEVERE
IN THE WAY OF INTEGRITY;
WHEN WILL YOU COME TO ME?

*

Psalm 100, vs. 1-2

*

He who tills his own land
has food in plenty;
but he who follows
idle pursuits is a fool.

*

Proverbs 12, vs. 11

*

Sometimes I will repeat something from the Bible as it may be appropriate for my thoughts or strikes my sensibilities. Proverbs is in a way, a long, long list of do's and don'ts. You don't hear much about Proverbs as no one wants to hear a list of "don'ts.

*

END



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Mabel,,, we both think alike,, work smarter, not harder. I plan on using black plastic in my walk ways in the garden and in between plants, anywhere I can cut back on doing a lot of weeding.

Planning the garden is quite fun this time of year with the snow on the ground. It reminds us there is a season for everything.

Blessings, Alice