Friday, December 31, 2010

The closing of 2010


I'm cleaning a chicken.  Well, not literally. It 's just that I am tired of eating chicken.  This afternoon I sliced off the largest of the breast pieces and put them in the freezer.  The smaller pieces were made into chicken salad on toast.  The carcass and fat are on the stove simmering in vegetable broth left over from the other afternoon. 

The final broth or stock will find a home in the freezer, as well.  The skin and bones may go over the fence to the dog next door.  Maybe dog and I can become friends that way.  As you can tell, nothing will go to waste. I  can not afford to to NOT use everything wisely.  Hey!  Maybe one of these days I will try "bone soup!"

This year goes out poorer than last year.   I have spent a lot of money on dental repairs and medicine that my "agent" did not think to add to my coverage.  This year I did it myself and now I have insurance for the pharmacy.  I don't know what he was thinking.  I am watching my nickles and dimes, esp. now that gas is over $3.05 per gal.  It isn't because there is a gas shortage; it is because the dollar is so weak.

 
A friend is one to whom one
may pour out all the contents
of one's heart, chaff and grain
together, knowing that the
gentlest of hands
will take and sift it,
keep what is worth keeping,
and with the breath
of kindness,
blow the rest away.
*
Arabian Proverb
*
DISCARD NOT AN OLD FRIEND,
FOR THE NEW ONE
CAN NOT EQUAL HIM.
A NEW FRIEND IS LIKE NEW WINE
WHICH YOU DRINK
WITH PLEASURE
ONLY WHEN IT HAS AGED.
*
Sirach 9 vs. 10
*
2010 leaves on the wings of a thunderstorm.

END

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mabel, we sound a lot a like. I use every piece I can. I would not reccommend giving a dog chicken bones though as they can splinter and choke a dog.

I hate throwing anything out, there is another use or purpose for it. I save jars from spaghetti sauce and such to store my extra sugar, salt, spices, pastas or whatever. Its a good way to stock up.

I only use about a half bag of pasta at one time so the other half goes in a jar and is stored for emergencies. It will last a long time in a jar with no moisture allowed in it. That is just one of many uses.

The economy is only going to get worse. So stocking up and preparing now will help in the long run.

Love your blog!!